Friday, August 17, 2012

Alternative forms of Comfort

Here's my little trick of the day - if you are a person who tends to turn to food for comfort, try and find other ways to comfort yourself!  I know it sounds simple, but if you struggle with your weight and/or compulsive eating like I do, then you know how hard it can actually be.  Its taken me many years to find things that comfort me as much a a big slice of cheesecake.  Here are TOP FIVE WAYS TO BE COMFORTED, other than food, of course...



 1.  Coffee - nothing like a hot, delicious mug of coffee to make me feel cozy.  Tea also works.

2. Pajama Pants - Slipping into a comfy pair of pajama pants makes me feel like everything is going to be OK in the world.  I feel relaxed and cute in my favorite PJ's.  And for the record, pajama pants are not just for bedtime!  

3. Hoodie Sweatshirt - This comfortable pullover is best coupled with the pajama pants, or a good old, comfortable pair of jeans.  The feeling of being snuggled and secure in a big hoodie makes me feel like I am wrapped up in my security blanket.  I feel protected and comforted. 

4. Pedicure - I realize that you may not be able to do this anytime or anywhere, but when the time is right, a spa pedicure really makes me feel nice.  It is an excellent alternative treat, one that I often look forward to instead of food. 

5. Glass of wine - Now, I know that wine has calories just like food, but a 6 oz glass of wine, roughly 120 calories, is MUCH better than that 500 calorie slice of cheesecake I might otherwise reach for.  AND you can slowly sip your wine and enjoy it for a much longer period of time then a piece of cake that you might just shovel in.  If you are not one to enjoy an alcoholic drink, you may enjoy a sparking cider or some flavored seltzer water instead. 

I encourage you to find YOUR top 5 favorite ways to be comforted, other than eating, of course.  Make a list and post it on your fridge, so the next time you want to throw in the towel and graze, count to 10 and try something less calorific first instead.  Don't know what your top 5 are?  Try some of mine on for size and see if they bring you the same comfort that they bring me.  Whatever you do, try to realize that there are other ways of relieving stress and anxiety other than eating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Weight Loss Stats

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods