Thursday, August 9, 2012

Unexpected Work Outs

Exercise is one of the cornerstones of weight loss.  In order to lose weight you have to burn more calories than you take in.  Part of that equation, as you know, is burning calories!  However, I believe that you do not have to strap on your tennis shoes and head to the gym to exercise.  This week I have been thinking about all the different ways I get significant exercise without trying to "work out."  Sometimes I don't even have to leave home.  Here are some ways you can feel the burn without "exercising" in the traditional sense of the word:


Cleaning - Working to make your house squeaky clean (or at least presentable) is a great way to burn calories.  According to MyFitnessPal, just 30 minutes of moderate cleaning effort burns about 110 calories!  I don't know about you, but I can find 30 minutes of things to clean without even trying.  Laundry, washing dishes, picking up toys, sweeping and mopping - I feel more motivated to do these things knowing that I am not only getting some chores done, but also feeling the burn.  

Walking - I have written about this one before, but I love walking!  No sexy gym outfits or expensive sneakers required!  Just strap the kiddos into the stroller, grab the dog, throw on some crocks, sandals, or whatever comfy footwear you like and WALK.  Its that simple.  MyFitnessPal tells me that if I walk at a moderate pace (3.0 miles per hour) for half an hour I will burn 145 calories! 

 Gardening - Another great way to get a chore done and also do some exercising.  I used to thing that gardening was something that only cute old ladies with floppy straw hats and colorful work gloves did.  But now I know that all you really need is dirt, some things planted in the dirt, and weeds to pull!  Seriously, walking around your flower bed or veggie patch and pulling those pesky weeds is a good workout!  MyFitnessPal suggests that just 30 minutes of general gardening will burn 175 calories for me!  Yeah, baby! 

So there you have it, three non conventional ways of burning some major calories.  How do YOU burn calories without stepping into a gym???  Post a comment and keep the conversation going! 

1 comment:

Weight Loss Stats

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods