Friday, August 17, 2012

Track the calories BEFORE you eat them

Just a quick little post today with another quick little trick...

If you are able, when going out to eat, look up the caloric values of the food you intend to eat and log those calories BEFORE you eat them.  Try to plan your day around your big meal.  You may not be able to prevent yourself form going over your calorie goals, but you might be able to prevent yourself from totally and utterly blowing it. 

A couple of months ago I wrote about going out to eat at the Cheesecake Factory.  I though I was eating a healthy meal, only to look up the nutrition facts later on and find that my dinner 100 calories over my TOTALLY daily intake.  (YIKES!)  Tonight my husband and I went out to eat at the Olive Garden.  I decided to do it differently this time by looking up the nutrition facts and logging them before we went out to eat. By doing this, I was aware of what I was eating and planned my day around the big splurge that was coming.  YES, I still went over my alloted calories for the day, but only by about 200 calries instead of 900 that is typical when I go out to eat. 


The moral of the story is to think ahead, plan ahead, and prevent complete pig outs by being an informed and educated consumer. 

3 comments:

  1. You are incredible. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! (I'm guessing you didn't have the pictured Alfredo. Lol)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, no, I had the lunch portion of angel hair pasta with meat sauce, 2 bread sticks, and salad. Also had a glass of Chianti wine and a "skinny" cocktail before dinner... did I mention I barely ate all day in preparation for this dinner??? lol :-)

    ReplyDelete

Weight Loss Stats

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods