Friday, July 13, 2012

Cheesecake Factory and other travesties

The DelVillano family is back home, and here to stay for at least couple of weeks.  Traveling so much has been really draining for all of us in our own special ways.  For me, it has been hard to stick to my caloric goals, even when I try.  During our last weekend get-away I actually REALLY tried to make good choices, but our food industry, as I found out, makes it so hard...

Serving sizes in our country are astronomical, and the hidden fat, preservatives and obscene amount of calories are just staggering.  Take my dinner at the Cheesecake Factory on Sunday night, for example.  According to "My Fitness Pal," I should be consuming about 1530 calories a day if I want to lose 1.5 pounds a week.  (As a nursing Mama I usually eat closer to 1800.)  I knew that I wouldn't be able to find something totally healthy going out to dinner, but I thought I should be able to pick something somewhat reasonable and stay within my caloric goal for the day.  I chose a simple pasta dish that had minimal ingredients (or so I thought.)  I ate the dish, thought it was delicious, and was thoroughly proud of myself for passing up Chicken Alfredo or the Bistro Shrimp and Pasta Plate.  When I got home I sat down with my Kindle to log my calories for the evening.  I looked up the nutrition facts for the tomato basil pasta I ate, and just about died when I discovered that my meal was over 1600 calories!!!!  For a simple pasta dish! Good thing I didn't order the Bistro Shrimp and Pasta Plate - 2285 calories!!! 

1,600 calories.   

I know that restaurants have really gone over the top these days when it comes to portion sizes, but COME ON!  If I had eaten that tomato basil pasta dish and NOTHING ELSE for the entire day, I would STILL be over my calorie goal.  No wonder so many people in our country have trouble maintaining a healthy weight. 

How can the Cheesecake Factory sell someone a plate of food and market it as a normal dinner portion when it packs over 2,000 calories?  I feel like that should be a crime.  I realize that it is not their prerogative to serve healthy or diet food.  It is only their prerogative to make money and run a successful business, which they do fantastically.  However, I feel completely and utterly deceived and tricked, and that is just not nice.  Not nice at all. 

Now, I do have to admit that after further investigation, I found out that the Cheesecake Factory offers other dishes that are, in fact, lower in calories.  (Like thier "Skinnylicious Pasta” that has just over 500.)  But it still seems crazy to me that they fell they need to label a food as "skinny" or "diet" if it has a reasonable amount of calories.  What has happened to our perception of food consumption, and how can we turn it around?  Where can a fat girl turn when she wants to have a normal, enjoyable meal out without ordering foods labeled as "weight watchers meals?"  Why does it seem that NO ONE in the food industry values moderation anymore? 

All else aside, I've had a good week back at home and I'm still loving "My Fitness Pal."  I am actually looking forward to the weigh in on Saturday and I'm hoping to enter "One-derland."  I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.......

1 comment:

  1. When my mother ate out she would always order a salad' dressing on the side and then any entree she orered she would only eat half. that was her mantra and she lost 50 pounds ib a year eating this way.i was also reading something the other day that the.firat 4 bites are the most delicious and that after that we are just trying to recreate that taste in our mouth.i.teresting

    ReplyDelete

Weight Loss Stats

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods