Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day Buffet

Happy Mother's Day!  This morning my husband took the kids and I out to the Belhurst Castle in Geneva, NY for a fancy Mother's Day Brunch.  It was a buffet style, of course, with just about every type of delectable breakfast food you could imagine on the enormous spread.  Naturally, I wanted to eat everything.  I filled my plate, thought to myself, "I'll be back" and went to our table.


15 minutes later the baby way crying, Noah threw up on himself, and we had to leave before I got to make a second trip to the buffet line.  This may have been the first time in my entire life that I only visited the buffet once.  It was not what I had planned on doing, mind you, but it made me realize something pretty ground breaking... one plate was enough.

As I walked away from the restaurant, disappointed that our brunch was not nearly as relaxing or gluttonous as I had imagined, I noticed that I was full.  I was very full, in fact.  I absolutely did not need that second plate of food.  I'm glad, in a way, that the kids melted down and forced me to eat half the amount of food I wanted to.  I would have eaten more before even letting the first course hit my stomach first.

A similar thing happened later on at my parents house.  Kids broke down, I had to leave the table after my plate was empty, and I didn't get back in time for seconds.  However, sitting here writing this blog post I can truthfully say that I am stuffed!  I definitely had more than enough food with my first helping.

Now here's the real epiphany - think of all those extra calories I can save by just learning to be satisfied after the first serving of food! If I can remember how it felt today to be full after only eating a normal amount of food, perhaps I can learn to be satisfied with less.  What an enormous leap in the right direction that would be.

Happy Mother's Day 2012


1 comment:

  1. good for you & a good reminder for us all! happy mother's day, rebecca!

    ReplyDelete

Weight Loss Stats

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods