Monday, May 14, 2012

My favortie way to eat vegetables: Thai Curry!


My all time favorite way to enjoy veggies is in Thai Curry.  In fact, when I was pregnant and vegetables did not sound good to me at all, the only way I could force myself to eat them was in Thai Curry.  I remember going out to a restaurant at least once a week during my first pregnancy so that I could eat Panang Curry with green beans.  Heavenly.  Now, however, thanks to Wegman's international foods section and my culinary brilliance, I can make and enjoy Thai Curry right at home.  Actually, it is so EASY and you can do it, too...

Ingredients: 

2 -3 T oil (Canola, veggie, etc.)
1 block of extra firm tofu
2 -3 T red curry paste
veggies of your choice! (I like to use 4 carrots and a head of broccoli, or a handful of green beans)
white rice
1 can lite coconut milk
salt to taste

Step 1: Press the water out of your tofu using a clean dish cloth and something heavy like a big cook book or a frying pan. (The drier the tofu the more easily it will brown.)

Step 2: Heat the oil in a large pan or wok on Med-High.

Step 3: Cut the tofu into bite sized cubes and fry it until golden brown.

Step 4:  Stir in the curry paste. 

Step 5: Add the veggies, and stir fry them until tender crisp.

Step 6: Pour in the can of coconut milk and stir until you have a nice peach colored sauce.  Salt to taste.

Step 7: Serve hot over a bed of rice.  I know brown rice is healthier, but I just love jasmine or other long grain rice, and I really can't have Thai curry on brown rice.  However, go for brown and be healthier than me, if you wish. :-)


As I've said before about other foods I eat, this may not be the lowest calorie meal, but it is FULL of vitamins and nutrients.  The more veggies, the better.  To me, its not necessarily about eating low calorie or fat free foods, its about eating food that is good for my body and will fill me up with nutrients and vitamins.  I want to make my calories worth it, and then I am personally less likely to snack later on.

P.S. I like to eat this dish with tofu because tofu is a very lean protein, and it really is a "flavor sponge," soaking up the taste of the curry beautifully, plus my husband is a vegetarian. However, you could definitely substitute chicken or shrimp for tofu. 

I really encourage you to try this dish.  It is an excellent way to enjoy fresh vegetables.  Even toddlers and husbands like it. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Your thai curry is my FAVORITE!!! I crave it sometimes, but never have the gumption to make it... But now that I actually have the recipe... ;)

    ReplyDelete

Weight Loss Stats

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods